I know this isn’t much of a “recipe”.. but I had these at a family potluck a few weeks ago and have made them TWICE since!
1 16oz. bag dried blackeyed peas
3 packets Goya Ham Flavor Concentrate
1 paper plate (see below)
1 mesh strainer (see below)
1 large spoon
1 Crock Pot
1) Go through the peas and remove any deformed peas or debris like pebbles or twigs. I pour about a quarter of the bag onto a paper plate, go through them, dump them into a mesh strainer, then repeat with remaining peas until done. But that’s just me.
2) Once you’ve gone through all the peas, rinse them thoroughly in a mesh strainer or colander.
3) Spray the inside of a Crock Pot with non-stick spray, then dump the peas in. Fill with water until the peas are covered by approximately 2 inches of water.
4) Add the three packs of Goya seasoning, then stir well to dissolve.
5) Cook on HIGH for two hours. Every so often check that the water level is OK, and add more if necessary. Give them a stir around once an hour.
6) After two hours, taste them. You may find them a bit too hard for your liking; if so, continue cooking for another hour or so, until done. If they’re close to being done, turn the heat down to LOW and cook for an additional 30 minutes or so.
We usually eat around 6:00 at my house, so I start these around 3:30. By 5:00 they’re nearly done, so I turn the heat down to LOW and let them go for around another 30-40 minutes before eating.